History of Wycombe Publick House
Wycombe Publick House
2012 - Owners - Joe Wade and Fran McLaughlin
Purchased- May 2012- Opened July 6th
1899-1900 Contributing Mill Creek Road
The Copes built the hotel as part of their plan to create a summer resort in Wycombe. Owned by Emma Cope and managed by their brother, Jack Thompson, the hotel boasted five rooms on the first floor and nine on the second floor. Improvements in 1904 included enlargement of the kitchen and installation of a new bar and fixtures. An addition was constructed in 1905. The hotel, later known as the Wycombe Inn, underwent extensive interior and exterior renovations in the late 1970's. The addition of modern windows and vertical siding completely altered the appearance of the old frame hotel.
Wycombe Hall, Cope Hall
Next door to Wycombe Hotel
1909 Contributing Mill Creek Road
This tall, three-story frame structure was built by the Copes to accommodate a butcher shop in two store rooms on the first floor, house a six-room dwelling on the second floor, and provide a public hall on the third floor level. The hall was an entertainment feature for attracting hotel guests and was used as a gathering spot for socials, dances and plays. John H. Drake later converted Walter Sickel's butcher shop to an ice cream parlor and oyster saloon in 1916.